Although this is not a recipe post, I figured it would still be applicable for those of us on the Trim Healthy Mama train. From what I have seen and experienced, many of us who enjoy the Trim Healthy Mama bandwagon also try to figure out ways to save money, as well as keep ourselves and our families healthy. Health is not just determined by pants size, either. Let’s face it, cold and flu season is no fun, especially when sniffles and sneezes get us down, so make this simple air purifier at home to keep the bugs at bay!
Trim, Healthy Tuesday: Simple Air Purifier for Cold/Flu Season
You only need a few simple ingredients, which you may already have in your pantry or cupboards.
- Orange Peel or Lemon Peel (I had some that I let dry from last year, which worked perfectly in this mix, but fresh is great too)
- a few sticks of cinnamon
- a few whole Cloves, ideally, but ground will work in a pinch (you’ll need enough to make sure you can smell it)
- 1-2 cups of water
- small pot, or small crockpot
- Using either a small crockpot or small pot on the stove, add all ingredients.
- If using the crockpot, turn on high, leave uncovered and let simmer all day, adding water when necessary to refill crockpot.
- If using a small pot on the stove, turn heat to med-high and let come to boil, reduce to simmer and let simmer all day, refilling water as needed to keep pot refilled.
The aroma therapy of this medley of smells is divine. Not only does it smell like your house was hand dipped into a vat of cinnamon apple pie, but you are also helping to kill off any icky, floating buggies in the air, as well as boosting your immune fighting powers through inhaling the oils of the aroma. This recipe rocks, and is such a welcome addition to the fall experience! I hope you too will give it a try!